Friday, December 19, 2008

Two Lefts Don't Make a Right

By now you've read my post dealing with the construction of the molds for the rear air flotation tanks. I'm sure you were impressed with how smoothly and easily it went. Well I must confess that I left a 'small' part out of the story. This is that missing part of the story.

OK, so our intrepid molders are busily putting the pieces of the first mold together. Things are going well. We've got this down to a science. We complete the first mold and I take the patterns for the second mold and trace out the pieces and cut them out. So far so good. At this point we get a visit from my sons and my brother in law. There are lots of questions about what we're doing, how's it going, how far have we gotten, etc. The purpose of this visit is to have me finish up for the evening so we can go to dinner. So Bruce and I are answering the various questions while trying to hurry up and get the starboard mold put together. We slap some glue on it, drive in a couple of nails to hold everything and leave it for tomorrow.

So the next day, after I get home from work, Bruce informs me that we have made a small mistake......It seems that in our haste to get the second mold assembled, I managed to put it together backwards. So instead of having one port and one starboard mold, we had two port molds! I hadn't paid attention to the proper orientation and had glued it together "inside out".

How do you spell frustration! Well I knew there was a reason I had brought that whole 4'x8' sheet of MDF up to work with. So I went back to work and cut out a new set of pieces and we put them together in the correct orientation.

A word to the wise - don't be in a hurry when you are assembling the molds. Make sure you have the orientation correct before you glue and screw everything together. It will save a lot of headache if you do.

No comments: